Thursday, May 29, 2008

on the lighter side...

I'm feeling much better (i.e., I'm taking my meds regularly) and not feeling so sorry for myself today, so I thought I'd share some funny stories related to my injury...

Yesterday I had a CT Scan of my chest to be sure I didn't have any blood clots following my surgery. This was a concern since I was having some difficulty breathing the day before. As I was on the table laying with my arms above my head, ready to start the scan the nurse was giving me instructions on what I would be feeling at the IV (for a contrast scan) site. She said you're going to get a warm sensation over your entire body, then a metallic taste, then you're going to have the sensation like your uriniating in your pants. WHAT??? I had to stay still, of course, so when I was done the first thing I asked the nurse was "okay, so does that mean that I..... ???" She assured me that I didn't and everyone asks (and checks themselves), but it was the weirdest feeling. It made me think about Christina and her current task of potty training Emma.

Another cute story is Thursday last week, Andrew fell at recess and twisted his ankle. He was still able to ride his bike home, but because the boy has no tolerance to pain whatsoever, he was limping and complaining of pain. (Of course, this is not the funny part, keep reading...). Anyway, if you have been to the hospital or dr's office lately, you may be familiar with the "pain chart" so you can communicate the level of pain you're in.


I decided to ask Andrew to tell me on a scale of a 1-10 how much pain was he in, and he told me a 10. That meant we had to give him some extra TLC and let him lay in bed with an ice pack on his ankle. The next day I let him stay home with me to stay off his foot and so he could be my "helper". I told him I was unable to do much for him, and he said, "that's okay, my pain level is now down to a 7". Too cute! He's all better now, it only hurts when we remind him of it. Praise God for protecting my babies!

No comments: