Thursday, May 15, 2008

Independence and Humility

The past week has given me the opportunity for much reflection. I have always kinda prided myself on being independent and strong. I think I've always had a high tolerance to pain, but, my word - this is unbelievable. I'm also upset that I did something that could have been avoided and hate that it not only affects me but others around me. My family is being great. Jeff is being so sweet and doing everything for me possible and is watching out to be sure I don't push myself too much. Christina has been a huge blessing in letting people know and arranging meals - we had no idea what a help and blessing that would be! I've had some sweet friends bring a meal or stop in to make sure I'm not all alone all day while Jeff's working.

One perspective this has given me is that while MY life has halted to a stop and is now rotating around this injury, life for everyone else continues. This has really showed me how I should have or can be a better friend to others, or to call and visit those I say I will and not let time pass by so quickly. This really isn't just about me, but as a body of Believers, when we say we care about or love someone, what are we doing to exhibit that to that person? It could be something as small as an email or phone call to let someone know you're thinking about or praying for them. I have been far too guilty in getting busy and caught up in life to be there when others needed me.

I plan on using this time wisely with the Lord's direction. I hope you all see each day as an opportunity to call that friend or family member who needs you, whether you think so or not. Ask God to put these people on your heart and make yourself available to hear Him.

A friend recently included Proverbs 3:5-6 in a card. Although I was familiar with the passage:
5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart
And do not lean on your own understanding.
6 In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He will make your paths straight.

I was not as familiar with verse 8 which reads: 8 It will be healing to your body And refreshment to your bones.

What a wonderful Word! I needed that and hope you find comfort in His promises today. Have a wonderful God Blessed Day!

4 comments:

Erin said...

I just LOVE how God can use everything in our lives when we listen! I am praying for you and your family!

mom of 3, hater of cheese and birds said...

When I told Morgan she said "as long as it was not her sewing foot". I thought that would give you a laugh! Don't forget to post pictures of that foot.....hang in there!

Unknown said...

I hope you are feeling better. I will be praying specifically that that awful pain would go away. You are awesome and I am glad that the Lord is using even the pain to bring you to Him. Love ya!

hybarra said...

Sonya hope you are feeling better and Cathy and I send our love and prayers.