Tuesday, May 27, 2008

A Step Forward, then Back...

Some of you may know that the doc here had a concern that part of my surgery would have to be corrected, he wasn't happy with the x-ray and how part of my ankle was set. He sent me for a CT scan, which, turned out, couldn't be read due to an error on the hospital's part. What he DID find was that I was getting a nasty infection in the surgical site on the left part of my ankle. It was pretty nasty - I will spare the details, but I've got pics for those morbidly curious ones out there. I was admitted into the Sugar Land Surgical Hospital on Friday for surgery that day. The doc re-opened the wound and removed some infected tissue and put me on some powerful IV antibiotics over the weekend. I was discharged Monday, late morning and am now on some oral antibiotics for the next few weeks. Today I go back to the doc so he can change the dressing and check on the progress.

Needless to say, the progress I had made on managing my pain and getting around is back near square one. It's not as bad as week one, but it's definitely harder than week 2. The antibiotics are causing extreme nausea and lightheadedness so I'm very limited in my mobility.

The GREAT news is during surgery on Friday he used a Fluoroscan on the initial area of concern and he said it does NOT appear that he will have to correct that surgery. What a praise! I currently have one metal plate with a total of 9 screws holding together what's left of my left ankle. No doubt I'll have a pretty nasty scar when it's all healed, but I'm grateful for this good news.

Please continue praying for healing so I can continue getting back to "normal" - whatever that may be.

1 comment:

mom of 3, hater of cheese and birds said...

Why is Gizmo posing like a puppy pinup?

I put a link on my blog to tell the world your story.....