Monday, April 7, 2008

Pickiness

I don't know about you, but I have a couple of picky eaters. Most specifically on my mind is my sweet boy who used to love lasagna at one point, but somewhere along the way he now refers it to the food "that makes him throw up". Here are some things he said to get out of eating lasagna: "Isn't it against the law to force someone to do something that they don't want to do" or " It says in the bible you can't force someone to do stuff against their will" or "everyone's tastebuds are unique".

I do have to admit, that I have let my kids dictate their menus in the past by always keeping that emergency bowl of steamed rice (heaven forbid we run out of soy sauce), but we've learned by our mistakes and have been trying to make up for that. We now at least expect them to try whatever it is we are having for dinner, and if they don't like it, they will end up snacking on an apple or banana later. I do admire you young moms that started off right and not giving in - that's really the key, but I know it's not too late, as we are seeing progress.

Good Grief! It's not like I'm forcing him to eat seafood, which, thanks to Finding Nemo, they think "fish are friends, not food". Oh well, we do try to make up for it by ALWAYS having plenty of fruit to snack on, and things like chips, candy and soda are not a regular part of our diets and the kids know that when it is in the house, they can only have it with permission.

Moms - do you have any favorite dishes your kids can't enough of? I'm looking for some new items to try (baked chicken or pork chops are getting a little old).

3 comments:

mom of 3, hater of cheese and birds said...

Your kids are such good eaters, it's hard to believe they have picky moments!! We've been making a lot of homemade pizzas, not b/c I'm a chef, but b/c I get tired of the cost of ordering out. Grace gets to add the cheese and I sneak stuff into the sauce when she's not looking! pizza amore!

Sarah said...

OK, so I was one of those PICKY kids and teenagers. I didn't eat salad until college and there are many things that I didn't even try until my 20s. Marrying an adventurous eater definitely helped me expand my food preferences.

Have you ever made a homemade chicken pot pie? Very easy w/ leftover ckn, ref. pie crust, cream of ckn soup & veggies.

chona said...

I KNOW this isn't the same Sarah who turned some of us AD's onto Fadi's Mediterranean. That gives me hope for my kids. I have made chicken pot pie - one of my faves! I, too, married an adventurous eater - our first date was sushi at a Japanese restaurant in D.C. - much different than the tex-mex I grew up on!