Wednesday, February 13, 2008

(My Attempt to) Going Green!

Trash Day is usually when I realize how much we WASTE and lately I've been convicted to change some bad habits. I wouldn't say I'm going as far as siding with Al Gore on Global Warming, but I think if we all made a few simple changes we could make a big difference. I am not an expert in any way on the following topics, so if you have tips that could benefit us, please share your comments!

  1. Recylce! If you live in the City of Sugar Land, you should have a blue recycling bin provided by the city. If you do not have one, they will bring it to you if you ask! To get more details on what can be included in your recycling, go here: http://www.kslb.org/Recycling.html
  2. Composting - you do not need to be a master gardener to know how to compost. I admit, my husband is the one with the green thumb and he refers to me as the angel of death when I get near plants, but it's my job to be sure we don't waste all those fruit and veggie scraps that help keep the compost pile healthy! There's a lot of info out there - I found a great blog that walks you through the basics. http://thethinkingmother.blogspot.com/2006/02/composting-basics.html
  3. Reuse! It's true - one man's junk is another's treasure! There are many cool places to sell, barter or give away your old stuff, so find a new home for it instead of throwing it away. My favorites are craigslist.com and freecylce.org. It's also okay to donate questionable stuff to thrift stores - I'd rather do that than donate it to Second Mile because they get their fair share of junk there, so if you'd rather donate than sell, reserve your best for Second Mile or other area benevolence ministries. The reason I say this is because more than likely, poor people (or bargain shoppers) will go to a thrift store to purchase old board games or books, etc... while these kinds of items take up valuable storage space at the benevolence ministry that could be filled with desperately needed household, linens and baby items. http://secondmile.org/
  4. Stop shopping so much! Come on - how many toys do your kids need anyway? Learn to be content with what you have. If you have the urge and financial resources to shop (not getting into debt to maintain your lifestyle - but that's a different subject), then do it to bless someone else!

6 comments:

mom of 3, hater of cheese and birds said...

So if I start using cloth diapers, will you still help me change the baby when we come over?:)

chona said...

think about it - when was the last time you actually saw me change a diaper?

Kacey said...

i noticed you didn't respond to the recycle part, hungarian!

mom of 3, hater of cheese and birds said...

Hungarians don't recycle. Go ahead and keep recycling. You know the trash people get a good laugh when they dump your steamed cleaned recyclables next to my kid's dirty diapers in the landfill...

Erin said...

I hadn't thought about the donating part - I thought that surely Second Mile goes through my donation and gets rid of what they don't need/want. Thanks.

Sandy said...

Yes, I'm good at 1,2,3 and getting better at 4! Great post.