Saturday, February 16, 2008

Going, Going, Gone! Gray

About a year ago I decided to make a huge change and stop dyeing my hair. I first started going gray when I was in my mid-twenties; it's a trait that my Mom, 4 brothers and I have received from my Grandpa. It's never been a huge deal until child #3 came and I just couldn't keep up with the new growth every 3 weeks. I've always been pretty low-maintenance and it was killing me to have to spend that much time and money on my hair, only to get an ordinary brown mousy color. I wasn't even sure anymore what my natural color was! The worst part about having so much gray is everyone notices & every glimpse in the mirror or photo showed I was due for another touch-up. (I once had an older pastor ask me how I got that cool silver streak right on my hairline!)

The growing out period was tough - having the multi-color, faded color and huge roots look was difficult. I sometimes used a tinted mousse if I had appointments, but that was a hassle since it rinsed out – not good if it’s raining or if you sweat! I remember once when I was picking up my niece from school she was sitting in the back seat and said “Aunt Chona, what colo is yo haiw?” I was SO grateful when it was finally grown out enough to cut all that old color out!

I’ve never had more compliments about my hair until now! I know going natural is not for everyone – I can tell those who don’t really care for it – they’ll say “oh – you cut your hair!” and avoid the gray issue. That's okay - I've always strived to be transparent and I feel my image authentically reflects who I am. This is who I am and how God has made me.

1 comment:

mom of 3, hater of cheese and birds said...

Oh, I bet I know who that little niece was. :) When are we going to have that hair-cutting party?