Tuesday, June 24, 2008

A Glimpse

I spent part of the morning and early afternoon yesterday with my good friend, Dede, who's a foster parent. Dede and her husband have one grown son living on his own and one 10 year old son who's currently away at camp, but this was by no means a week of rest for her. She currently has 3 foster kids, ages 2, 4 and 6 and is expecting another later this fall when the mom delivers the baby. When I got to her home, she also had 2 foster kids from across the street over to play, ages 3 and 8. Talk about a hectic house! I spent time with her at home, during play time, lunch, and then swimming at the community pool. I brought my own 9 year old and his friend as well, and everyone had fun!

I know fostering will be challenging and sometimes tiring, but I also know it will be rewarding knowing that I am investing in the lives of children who have no one that puts their best interests first. I'm praying for those God will be putting in our care soon, because they are already out there - I pray that they are protected and kept safe in the hands of their current caregivers. It's overwhelming to think about how some kids live and are (not) cared for. I know we live in an evil world and it's to be expected when so many are lost, but it breaks my heart how so many children have to live.

I also struggle at times with how overwhelming it might be in the future and do I really know what we're getting into? It would definitely be more comfortable to keep things the way they are. I'm trusting the Lord to direct our paths in this new season of our lives.

"Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth." 1 John 3:18

No comments: