Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Patiently Waiting...

It's been a while since I've posted, so I thought I'd give a quick update. Things are busy as usual in our household. Amy is now 16, getting ready to apply for her first job today (as a Book Shelver at the library - perfect for her!), Sarah just turned 13 and Andrew is 9. We currently still have only 1 foster child - a 13 year old girl, she and Sarah are friends (most days, anyway) and I LOVE the way God uses our ENTIRE family to impact her life. I can't imagine doing this any other way!

We got a call last week asking if we would take an 8 year old boy and we accepted immediately. Andrew's been asking for a brother for a very long time (especially when his sisters have lots of friends over). We have not heard back from CPS who will be the ones transporting him to our home, so we wait patiently. You never know how quickly the placement process will work. We once accepted placement of another foster daughter on a Wednesday and she did not come until the following Wednesday. We have a neighbor who said yes to a 6-week old baby and an hour later she came! This poses a little issue with being prepared. You never know what they will come with. Will they have enough clothes? Will they fit? Are they appropriate (both modest and weather)? *****UPDATE: Our foster son will be here tomorrow, 1/22! *****

The biggest issue with being prepared is what will they be like? When Andrew was begging me to please call and ask again for a brother, I reminded him that if he gets one that he may not be exactly what he's hoping for. I asked Andrew to think about a kid in his class who is always getting into trouble, failing his classes and isn't liked by most of the kids because he's a bully and told him that THAT would most likely be what his new brother would be like. I asked him if he still wanted a brother like that, and he said yes! He said that God can use him to be a good example and we agreed that we'd all be angy if we weren't getting the love and care that we needed. I want to encourage all of you to reach out to someone you may not know well, but is a little unlovable. You never know - they may be in desperate need of a friend.

I'd love to share more about our foster kids, but we must respect their privacy. If you would like to be included on prayer requests and updates for our family, please let me know!

'Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of these brothers of Mine, even the least of them, you did it to Me.' Matthew 25:40

1 comment:

mom of 3, hater of cheese and birds said...

well, its about time! i've been waiting for an update - since I'm over the age of 30 and REFUSE to use facebook. :)